21 August 2006

Lotte Blog

I have neglected my blog duties and missed a week. Oops, but what an interesting week it was. On Tuesday the 7th Joanne and I went to visit Deirdre in Tarbet, a truly beautiful place, possibly the loveliest place I have been in Scotland. Dramatic outcrops of rocks amongst tightly packed, undulating hills, interspersed with lochens. After an unsettled start, Deirdre seems to have landed on her feet, good for her!
We spent the evening in her quaint little house, drinking Ronnie’s very unusual wine (smelt a little like sherry but we drank it none the less) and discussing the residency. The next day we went to Lotty Globb's home, a fabulous, studio, home, sculpture, garden, or should I say estate. She has what I’m sure most people aspire to or at least what most artists aspire to. A totally individual home, a work of art in itself, in the most romantic and dramatic of settings. Each window framing its own kinetic work of art, never the same twice. Numerous studios sprawled throughout the estate, permeated by her ceramic creations, both inside and out.

Today I met her ex partner, Dave Illingworth. He is both a sculptor and watch maker. He invited me in the warmest and most animated manner into his home, with an enthusiasm and obvious love for his work, which reminded me of the generosity of the best artists I have ever met and of the type of artist/person I wish to be.

Sometimes, some days are just all about meeting people. Today I also met with the new head mistress of Farr, Melvich and Tongue and I have some settled dates for my workshops, which puts my mind at rest. I look forward to them, to enjoying the children and their infinite unpredictability and inventiveness, but above all escaping my own head, which at the best of times, is far too worried and serious.

My parents have just left after visiting for the weekend, they had a rough trip home, they decided to take the road home via Helmsdale, unfortunately a truck in front of them was overturned with a load full of sheep, all of which were killed. They had to turn back and take another route. They enjoyed their time, I don’t think it was what they expected, the large distances between places, the scattered communities. Since their visit I feel more sure of how it is I want to carry on. Video works documenting the community toady with the texts that I want to write. Marlin also seems happy for me to relocate into the Archive space, a wholly underused part of Jimson’s croft, but much warmer and easier to work in than my studio at present.

It seems that the rest of August will be a wash out. I will go home for my birthday and see my family. The cease-fire has lasted its first day and I hope for my friend’s sake that it continues.

Just in case you were wondering, the sand castle competition was great. It stayed dry and at least 12 sand sculptures were entered, including a mermaid and a very cute Nessie. I chose an outsider as the winner to avoid retribution.