25 August 2006

SOS

Again, collaborating with post mistress Marlyn and the friendly post men of Skerray, I have sent the following letter out to the people of Skerray and Borgie:

Dear community of Skerray

I am approaching the mid way point of my time as artist in residence here in Skerray.
The past month 7 weeks have been full of stories, meetings and midges and I have enjoyed it all. As I round off my research into the area I remain committed to developing a work that will both communicate the sentiment and culture of the area whilst opening up a new dialogue between island and mainland, past and present.

Some of you may already be aware that I am planning a crossing to Eilean Nan Ron by rowing boat. I intend to row the boat myself and am now in training under the tutelage and guidance of Bill Telfer, you may have seen me rowing up and down Modsary Lochen or rather zig zagging up and down in a boat, kindly lent to me by Borgie Lodge whilst I practice. Brian Mc Leod has also kindly agreed to lend me his boat for the actual event.

My left arms a bit weak and I have a tendency to dig too deep when placing the oar in the water but I reckon I can do it. I will be studying the tidal index and long range forecast, and will be announcing a date for the crossing soon (weather permitting). At this stage, the 16th or 17th of September look good.

The women of the island regularly rowed back and forth along the two- mile stretch of water between the Port at Skerray and Island Roan, they were skilled oarsmen and it is my intention to physically map the distance between the two ports, whilst simultaneously undertaking a test of endurance that seeks to reference the strength and capability of the island’s women. On arriving at the island I intend to stay there for the night and conduct a night-time illumination of the houses that will hopefully be visible from the mainland.

I cannot complete this project without the help of the community. I would like to invite anyone interested in volunteering to help me film the act, to please come forward. I need three people to film: one person from the boat, another from the safety boat and a third from on top of the hill that over looks the port at Skerray, I will provide all equipment and guidance on how to use the cameras. I would also like someone who has good knowledge of the crossing and a boat, to join me and serve as safety boat, otherwise I may go sailing off into the sunset, never to be seen again…

Finally, I would like to invite you all to sponsor the lighting of a window in any one of the houses on the island, by lending me your lamps. Once I have chosen a date for the crossing I will let you all know and would love to see you at the coast as I set about my expedition!!

Many Thanks, Ruth Macdougall

Please contact me in any of the following ways:
E-mail: ruthmacdougall@hotmail.com
Tel: 01641 561 249 (evening telephone number)
Mob: 07788520752
Or just drop by the studio at Jimson’s croft, I’m now working from the archive room as it’s warmer!