19 September 2006

Trial Run

On Friday the 15th I went down to the harbour with Brian for a final trial run, he negotiated the route out of the port which was the trickiest part of the journey and after rowing a little way we swapped so that I could get used to the newly adjusted Humbly bands, they are shorter and made from newer rope. It’s easy to tell when you’ve made a good stroke, the motion of the boat through the water is surer, it flows better and the sound the oars make against the wood is different. Brian informs me that the piece of wood that sits protectively on the rim of the boat surrounding the pin and humbly band is called a Ruth or Rooth. I have contacted the Gaelic Village, am biale, to learn more of the names given to the different parts of these Shetland boats.

After rowing back in and successfully parking the boat, Brian and Dave swapped over. I had become used to the boat during my turn with Brian and so was able to leave the port myself. I had been a little worried about this part of the journey as I was aware that on the day, I would be observed by a crowd and my manoeuvring would be under scrutiny.

Dave was quietly surprised at my technique and remarked on how he was apparently redundant, the training paid off.

It was a beautiful day, fairly calm seas and sunny, I could have rowed all the way to the island easily but wanted to leave that pleasure till Saturday, and as the weather looked set to continue till the next day, I was really looking forward to it.

Back at the harbour, we met Sinclair, a local man who is only at home on the sea. Sinclair is the nephew of Hector, whose name is on the plaque of two lost sailors that is framed against the harbour wall. Sinclair never wears a life jacket, but equally, he never goes out to sea alone. His mother was born on Island Roan and so I asked if he would like to join us in his own boat for the crossing, which he graciously accepted astride his tractor.

That night, Karen Steven played at the Skerray Community Hall. She is an immensely talented fiddle player and has recently released a CD of her work. The CD is a fundraiser for Aberdeen neurosurgical Ward where she was treated for a brain haemorrhage. It was a great evening and rather apt as Karen’s grandmother is Mina MacKay Steven, who was featured in Timothy Neat’s book, ‘When We Were Young’. She was born and raised on Island Roan.

I left early to get a good nights sleep before the event.